Mining Law 2014
Total: 5h 2min
Course Date: November 5, 2014
Course Date: November 5, 2014
Welcome and Introduction
Graham H. Scott — Vector Corporate Finance Lawyers, Vancouver
Survival Instincts—Strategies for Coming Through the Bear Market
how have the doom and gloom predictions for the venture market panned out this year
what is the sentiment now in both the junior and senior markets
what have successful companies done to manage the downturn and come out ahead
Erez Bahar, CA — Davidson & Company LLP, Chartered Accountants, Vancouver
Royalty Agreements and Streaming Agreements
- the most common types of royalties, how they are used, and how they are calculated
- how streaming transactions are structured, how they are used, and how they are calculated
- a review of contractual provisions common to royalty agreements and streaming agreements
Alan Monk — Barrister & Solicitor, North Vancouver
Equity Crowdfunding for Junior Resource Issuers
- equity crowdfunding—what it is and why it is taking off
- what is happening now in equity crowdfunding
- proposed equity crowdfunding specific rules in Canada
- current rules issuers can use when equity crowdfunding in Canada
- exemptions issuers can use when equity crowdfunding in the US
- preparing your client for an equity crowdfunding campaign
- equity crowdfunding and junior resource issuers
Alixe B. Cormick — Venture Law Corporation, Vancouver
Corporate Social Responsibility in the Mining Industry
- implications of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights for managing human rights and social risk
- Enodo's unique and precise approach to stakeholder engagement: marrying the "art" and "science" of corporate social responsibility to better respond to stakeholder needs and concerns
Stephanie Garrett — Senior Consultant, Enodo Rights, Vancouver
The Tsilhqot’in Decision—What is Next?
- what does the decision mean for mining in BC?
- what options exist for government going forward?
- what can industry do to increase certainty?
Robin M. Junger — McMillan LLP, Vancouver
Lunch (on your own)
Cyber Security in the Mining Industry
why is the mining industry targeted by hackers?
how have new business trends created new opportunities for hackers?
what are the options for mining companies?
Gaétan Houle, PEng, MBA — National IT Security Leader, Ernst & Young, Montreal
Offtake Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation—Joint Venture 5A Form
- offtake agreements: key features
- confidentiality agreements: broadening the scope and recent case law
- RMMLF Joint Venture Agreements
- Canadianization of terms
- pitfalls using them in Canada and internationally
Brian E. Abraham, QC — Dentons Canada LLP, Vancouver
Current Focus Issues in NI 43-101
the mining industry in BC
NI 43-101 review of key concepts
preliminary economic assessments
Christopher Collins — Chief Mining Adviser, BC Securities Commission, Vancouver
TSXV Initiatives on Capital Raising and Operating in Foreign Jurisdictions
- overview of the current capital raising environment for TSXV issuers and a discussion of recent policy initiatives to facilitate capital raising efforts
- discussion of key listing considerations for operating in foreign or emerging market jurisdictions
Zafar Khan — Policy Counsel, Listed Issuer Services, TSX Venture Exchange, Vancouver