Litigator's Arsenal 2015
Course Date: October 23, 2015
Course Date: October 23, 2015
Welcome and Introduction
Panel of Learned Litigators
- Q&A: treasures of civil litigation strategic advice and chambers war stories
Brian G. Baynham, QC — Harper Grey LLP, Vancouver
James M. Lepp, QC — Harper Grey LLP, Vancouver
Robert J. McDonell — Farris, Vaughan, Wills & Murphy LLP, Vancouver
Litigation in the Facebook Age: Creative Discovery Through Cutting-Edge Internet Research on Parties and Witnesses
- social media sites as a practical discovery tool
- potential ethical implications of evidence gathering on the Internet
- practice points on effective use of Internet research in litigation
Claire E. Hunter — Hunter Litigation Chambers, Vancouver
Strategic Use of Prejudgment Remedies to Advance your Case
- receiverships (receivers of rents, receivers in shareholder disputes or estate litigation)
- certificates of pending litigation and caveats against land
- equitable charging orders against land and personal property
- sale of land and personal property prior to judgment
William L. Roberts — Lawson Lundell LLP, Vancouver
Point of Law Applications: Pointless or Entirely Pointy?
- what's the application?
- what's the law?
- what's the point?
Gib van Ert — Executive Legal Officer, Supreme Court of Canada, Ottawa
Class Actions Myths and Monsters
- current issues relating to takeup rates and cy-pres settlements
- what is on the mind of plaintiff's counsel and why?
- what should be on the minds of defendants and defence counsel
Reidar M. Mogerman — Camp Fiorante Matthews Mogerman, Vancouver
Designing Your Sandbox (or, Planning Your Theory of the Case Using the Methods of William Berardino, QC)
- an adaptable system to outline your theory of the case
- how to make the facts and the law work for you
- do it early—before any substantive step in the litigation and especially before discovery
- the system will carry you through all steps in litigation including discovery, trial, applications, and appeals
Andi N. Mackay — Winteringham Mackay Law Corporation, Vancouver
Modern Mareva Practice and the Rule in Lister v. Stubbs
- the new model Mareva Practice Direction
- cutting-edge developments in Mareva law
- strategic points and pitfalls
Robbie Fleming — Robert Fleming Lawyers, Vancouver
Perjury in Civil Litigation
- potential perjury prosecutions flowing from civil litigation
- the test for perjury
- the high bar for a perjury finding
Eric V. Gottardi — Peck and Company, Vancouver
How to Select the Appropriate Forum(s) for your Dispute
- what remedy are you seeking?
- what jurisdiction does the forum have?
- what are the pros and cons of each forum?
- when should you use multiple forums?
Teresa Tomchak — Farris, Vaughan, Wills & Murphy LLP, Vancouver
- Q&A: insights from behind the bench on best practices in civil litigation and chambers advocacy
The Honourable Mr. Justice Ronald Skolrood — Supreme Court of BC, Vancouver
Master Sandra J. Harper — Supreme Court of BC, Vancouver
David A. Crerar — Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Vancouver
October 23, 2015